Thursday 3 May 2018

Text Review Roundup: "Horse Play"

News from Armenia: the opposition leader has spoken of "a revolution of love and tolerance". I can't speak Armenian, or indeed read it as it's written in its own alphabet, so I can't confirm the translation – but it certainly woke me up to see that phrase on the BBC News site!

Time for the TRR machine to get back into gear. The same cast of reviewers as last week, which is a welcome bit of stability after all the recent chopping and changing. Note that the quote I used from Cuddlepug's review is probably the only one in his piece that's a straightforward comment on the episode. Overall, another ep that had a good reception.

Cuddlepug – fairly positive (graded B; "The writing is sharp throughout, with the cast all providing realistic dialogue and contributing to the story.")

Derpy News – damning-with-faint-praise positive (graded B+; "still better than 'Inspiration Manifestation'")

JDPrime22 – very positive (9/10; "Really reminded me of the older episodes of the show ... Really fun episode")

Louder Yay – positive (4/5; "I can forgive a few bumps if the ride as a whole is enjoyable, and I had plenty of fun with this episode.")

Mega Sean 45 – very positive ("The humor was really top-notch ... an amazing episode")

MLEEP Reviews – wildly positive (10/10; "'Horse Play' truly was a magical experience")

Rainbine – positive (8/10; "Celestia was characterized and developed even more [but] a very predictable plot")

ShutterflyEQD – very positive ("I absolutely loved how they really put Celestia in the spotlight")

TheDragonWarlock – very positive (graded A-; "Despite my gripe with Twilight['s stubbornness], Horse Play is a fantastic episode overall.")

7 comments:

  1. I was very, very disappointed in Dan Gaichas' review (the Derpynews one). I feel he's starting to become rigid while reviewing MLP, just like many other reviewers I used to respect did... I don't think I will read his future reviews...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that sounds like you're becoming too rigid in your reactions. People disagreeing with you doesn't mean they're wrong or stupid. It means they disagree with you, that's all.

      Delete
    2. Well, after seeing reviewers I used to respect AND closest friends losing their minds and becoming overnitpicky over this show and not only so many many many times... Well, you can see where I'm coming from... Here's the thing: I can see when something deserve criticism or not, that I agree or disagree. For instance, I do agree with the few hiccups you had with this episode but they were pretty much irrilevant on my enjoyment of the episode (so were for you). On the opposite while it's not at high levels, I feel like Dan's take on Twilight in his review was a bit... Nitpicky, and he kinds reminded me of the first times those reviewers and friends I used to respect and care for started becoming overly negative, and I'm afraid that he's gonna take that road soon... I wished for him maintaining his good karma until the end of the series (especially since the show is gonna go through its sunset, soon enough) but I guess I putted too much trust in him... Again...

      Sorry if I might sound the one who is rigid here, but as I said, I've been through this plenty of times and... It was really painful for me every time.. Sorry.

      Delete
    3. Deciding you don't like a certain thing and then staying away from it and doing something else... that's healthy.

      Deciding you don't like a certain thing but then going back to it again and again... that's not healthy.

      There's the difference.

      Delete
    4. Well, to be fair I DID took the distances from the various reviewers (I'm talking mostly about YT reviewers by the way), I was just disappointed in Dan Gaichas, as I always respected him as reviewer... But I used to respect all the other reviewers I followed too, and then they took the dark side. I was just hoping Dan didn't took that road as well, but if that nitpick in his last review was an indication, he will eventually take that road himself, soon enough. And it's such a shame considering that the next season it's almost completely sure it's gonna be the final one...

      Delete
  2. I'm out of step with most of the fandom, it seems. I liked the episode better on a second watch, but it still only got up to a personal three-star. I suppose it'm mostly because I have such a negative reaction to cringe/public humiliation comedy.

    Trying to seperate that from everything else in the episode, I have to admit that there was some good comedy there. Didn't like that Twi's fear/appeasement attitude to Celestia is nailed down as pathological. I mean... how would the episode gone if Celestia hadn't overheard her rant?

    And I don't believe for a second that Celestia was testing her and knew all along. That would take a level of disdain for Twilight's feelings that I don't believe Celestia is nasty enough to go through with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very convenient for Celestia to be just there, but I didn't mind that. If she hadn't been there... we probably wouldn't have had the episode at all. :P

      With you on the "testing" thing, though. That would be too mean-spirited for Tia.

      Delete