Wednesday 31 January 2018

Ponyfic Roundup 189: Off to See the World

An early warning that my review (and everything else) schedule for the next fortnight may be messed up even more than usual. Thanks for this go to my three significant medical appointments in the space of a week, one of which may need a follow-up in fairly short order. Anyway:

Read it Later story count: 373 (-2)

Four fics this week. There would have been five, but one story got deleted. I should probably think of something diverting to say in this space, but I'm not actually going to do so. I mean, most people would probably find my G3 wall clock more interesting than my vague ramblings. (I do indeed have a G3 wall clock. It features Royal Bouquet – and is pink, yes.) Never mind, I seem to have used up enough space now, so let's get going:

Diary of a Silent Tyrant by xjuggernaughtx
Derpy's Rainy Day by dragonpony111
Running Late in Manehatten by Autumnschild
Fluttershy is best pony by Super Trampoline

★: 1 | ★★: 1 | ★★★: 2 | ★★★★: 0 | ★★★★★: 0

Diary of a Silent Tyrant by xjuggernaughtx
Discord
Comedy/Slice of Life; 3k words; Nov 2012; Everyone
Encased in stone, Discord observes the events around him and reflects on his life
This story is a little tricky to review, because I read it mostly to set me up for its apparently-excellent sequel. This fic is still fairly fun, and it captures Discord's voice quite well, which is always a plus. It is very dated now, though, as it's from Discord's pre-reformation days. Also, the author's writing is noticeably less accomplished than it later became, though he's hardly alone in that. Maybe a couple too many show references and a disappointingly predictable ending (given that it's Discord), so it's a top-end two rather than a three. Diary of a Silent Tyrant won't blow anyone away, but at this length it's worth a look if you enjoy Discord stories. Review of the sequel coming soon. ★★

Derpy's Rainy Day by dragonpony111
Derpy and Dinky
Sad/Slice of Life; 1k words; May 2013; Everyone
Derpy must deal with life now that her little muffin has just been taken away.
Silent Tyrant shows its age. This story practically creaks. Foal Protective Services have removed Dinky on account of Derpy being unfit to look after her. Now, there are things I like here: Rainbow and Fluttershy being Derpy's close friends and testifying in her favour is nice, plus there's the use of "yearling" (not AK). I miss when the ponies were horses. But having Dinky taken away after the events of "The Last Roundup" is unbelievable. Also, Derpy's family disown her for the terrible crime of having a unicorn filly. I can't reconcile all this with the canon!Equestria setting. ★

Running Late in Manehatten by Autumnschild
Other and OC
Slice of Life; 3k words; Jan 2014; Everyone
A day in the life of Cabbie Blocks, a cab driver in Manehatten.
Cabbie is a background pony from "Rarity Takes Manehattan", although the Mane Six are very incidental to this story. Cabbie narrates as he rushes a stallion through the city streets to the hospital where his wife is about to give birth. There's some nice local colour and we gradually learn more about the driver's own life. Not that keen on one small aspect involving the identity of Cabbie's son, but otherwise this is a simple yet ultimately touching piece that gives life to this minor show character. ★★★

Fluttershy is best pony by Super Trampoline
Fluttershy, CMC and Mane Six
Comedy/Random/Slice of Life; 2k words; May 2015; Everyone
After a mysterious headline adorns the top of the Ponyville Foal Free Press, we take to the streets to ask citizens if it's true: is Fluttershy Best Pony?
It's a Super Trampoline story. It rambles, it's full of stupid comments, there's narrative intrusion, it's got a bunch of embeds – some not FiMmy... like I said, it's a Super Trampoline story. If you like those, you'll like this, but if you don't you still won't – even though some of it would have fitted quite neatly into "Fame and Misfortune". However, not only did the story make me laugh (too many random comedies don't) but it has two further significant pluses. One, there's an unexpected change of pace at the very end which is actually rather sweet. And two? See its title. We need more stories with titles like that. ★★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup: if I actually get it published, stories reviewed will include Pascoite's The Art and Science of Letter Writing.

4 comments:

  1. Two stars feels about right for that story.

    It's kinda funny. I thought that the idea of it was very original when I wrote it. Within a week, I think, two more stories basically covering the same idea were released. One of those was The Keepers of Discord, which overshadowed my story just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder whether it might have sneaked into the threes had I not known there was a very well received sequel.

      Yeah, unfortunate timing there – even though I wasn't a huge fan of TKoD. Looking back (PR 138), it seems you and I both found Discord's voice wasn't quite spot on.

      Delete
  2. Had pretty much the exact same reaction to Derpy's Rainy Day. Naked play for emotions, that one. Just surprised you ran across it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I found it. I thought it might have been from your review, though I read it just now and I don't recall seeing it before. Why I'd read a story with a review like that I don't know anyway! I suppose it must have come up when I was searching for Derpy'n'Dinky stories, though it had been in my RiL list for about two years so I can't remember.

      Delete