Wednesday 20 December 2017

Ponyfic Roundup 184: Sick Beats

Interesting changes on Fimfiction... also, another free game on GOG today. This time it's Oxenfree, which normally sells for £14.99, so quite a deal! Usual setup: log into your account and click the banner on the front page.

Read it Later story count: 380 (+1)

I have had colds on and off this winter, but this latest one absolutely knocked me for six and I barely knew where I was until yesterday. I'm still not great, but at least I can string a few words together now. You're getting a second successive two-review PR, which I don't feel too happy about, but at one point it was looking like this wouldn't get published at all.

When You Fall by theworstwriter
Dear Idiot by The Descendant

★: 0 | ★★: 1 | ★★★: 1 | ★★★★: 0 | ★★★★★: 0

When You Fall by theworstwriter 
Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo
Sad/Tragedy; 3k words; Dec 2011; Teen
Depressing Scootaloo/Dash fic with no happy ending.
Yep, that really is what the short description says. Can't fault it for honesty! This fic is six years old and at times it really feels it. What may then have been an unexpected denouement is now what I'd expected from the start. The writing is uneven (we even get an "alabaster unicorn"). And yet, and yet... somehow, this still got to me. Maybe it's because I'm such a big Scoots fan. She and Rainbow are pretty good together, even in their pre-sisterhood days. If you can get past knowing what's coming, this might be worth a look. ★★★

Dear Idiot by The Descendant
Celestia and Blueblood
Comedy; 3k words; Nov 2011; Teen
After the gala, Princess Celestia sends Blueblood a letter to "explain" a few things...
Again, this is what it says on the tin. There's always some amusement to be had from Blueblood's awfulness, and TD also provides some of his trademark background worldbuilding. It's not one of his finest fics, though: Celestia doesn't always sound right and the humour is a little on the one-note side. A quick read when you just want something undemanding and stupid. ★★

Next time on Ponyfic Roundup: well, I was going to have a week off. But given these review-light editions, I might well see if I can at least rustle up a couple more fics to talk about.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who ever liked Dear Idiot. :B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I liked it too! I mean, I'd agree with Logan that a) it's not TD's best fic, and b) Celestia's voice isn't quite on, but I still found it very funny.

      Delete
    2. It got a decent review on City of Doors, too. I think it's a fic that frustrates me a tad simply because TD a year or so further down the road might have made it a classic.

      Delete