Friday 29 December 2017

Pony Music Library: What's coming... and what isn't

Those of you who follow my occasional "Pony Music Library" posts will know that the next one will be number 50 in the series. As such, I'm planning to feature a song that means something to me beyond "this is a nice piece of music". I expect the feature to arrive during January, but right now I can't be more precise than that.

Movie songs will become eligible for induction in January, too, since that's when my self-imposed film spoiler ban will expire. I'm not sure whether I really want to feature such recent tracks just yet, but I expect one or two of them will be inducted in time. And yes, album-only songs are eligible too. So, for the avoidance of doubt, are EqG shorts songs.

As for the second part of my title: I have decided not to feature songs which have been entirely removed from the musician's YouTube account, unless: a) they are freely available on an official account elsewhere, or b) there are very special circumstances. I am still considering unlisted songs (eg "Never Alone") as that's rather different.

One notable track which this affects is EileMonty's "I Am Octavia", which as far as I can tell she has deleted from her YouTube account – even direct links bring up "unavailable", which wouldn't be the case if the track had simply been unlisted. I don't know why EileMonty made this decision, but I want to respect it, even though the song is still everywhere online.

Any songs which get deleted after they have been featured in the PML will not be restrospectively un-inducted, as that would simply cause confusion. There are in any case limits to how much editing I can find the time for!

No comments:

Post a Comment