Saturday 3 December 2016

Pony Music Library 32: "On Our Way"

Gosh, that Nico Rosberg retirement came a bit out of the blue! I really have no idea who's likely to replace him at Mercedes; for entertainment value, the obvious choice would be Alonso, but I can't see him and Hamilton ever working together again. Anyway, I think it's PML time.


What? "On Our Way"

Who? Forest Rain

Which? Original song

When? August 2013

Why? In spite of what many fans seem to believe, Hasbro doesn't dish out C&Ds very often. How many have there even been? Surely only a handful. One of them, however, was issued in 2013 against the planned feature-length animation Journey of the Spark. After the C&D hit, there was talk of making it an audio drama, but that never appeared. What did emerge from the project was this fine song. Admittedly Forest Rain has an excellent track record anyway, but the voice acting for the Mane Six in this is generally very good indeed, and that's what makes it. I particularly like the comment that Pinkie has gone "off the hay". It's a shame the film had to be cancelled, but this song alone means the project produced something worthwhile.

6 comments:

  1. I don't remember 'Journey of a Spark' being C & D'd, I guess I assumed it had just fizzled out. I do remember listening to this song in a video of a con panel though.

    I think it's unlikely Mercedes will be able to grab any of the top drivers, but we'll wait and see. Hamilton will have a relatively unchallenging year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the EQD post from September 2014, when (most of) it came out into the open. As that suggests, as well as the legal difficulties there were also internal arguments, though I can't remember how much of those ever became public knowledge.

      Delete
  2. Huh. I've never heard of this. I'll have to find out some more about this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll point you at the same EQD post that I replied to Oilyvalves with. I remember the brouhaha at the time, given that Hasbro doesn't dish out many legal letters, but I'm fairly hazy on exactly how it all went down.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, Journey of the Spark was a shame =/ I remember people having really high hopes for that one, seeing as they actually seemed to be focusing on the writing, unlike a certain other large fandom animation project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's not as if there are many large animation projects anyway. Even ten-minute shorts along the lines of Snowdrop are pretty rare. I guess a lot of people massively underestimate how much work it is.

      Delete