Saturday 16 August 2014

Comic review: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic issue 22

IDW MLP:FiM #22, Cover A
This is officially Cover A, in spite of not saying so on the front
The first half of this two-issue arc was pretty solid and gained an 8/10 score from me. Nothing stupendously amazing, but it told a fun story in a reasonably well realised Manehattan with an unusual subset of the ponies we all know. So, is this second comic going to be one of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic classics, or will the story end up being a dud? Follow me past the break to find out!

This isn't going to be the longest of reviews, mostly because I'm horrendously busy at the moment trying to get some real-life stuff sorted out before BUCK. However, I did enjoy this comic. I thought it was a good conclusion to the little arc, and although the denouement wasn't all that original, it was written (and drawn!) pretty nicely. It felt like a good, solid entry in the comic series, and one which I can't see many people outright hating.

Trixie and Babs
"You're a good girl, Babs. Here's half a crown for your piggy bank."
I was particularly pleased – and, in fact, a little bit touched – by the relationship between Babs and Trixie. They've both been through similar experiences as ponies who've started out making themselves unpopular, but come to see the error of their ways. I'd actually be rather amused to see a Trixie/Babs Friends Forever issue one day, although I doubt it's going to happen.

The ponies negotiate the museum's security system
Why not lasers? "MMMystery..." had them in the Con Mane sequence
Equestria Daily. They called the newspaper, in a Trixie-centric story, Equestria Daily. As Ted Anderson reveals, that was Agnes Garbowska's idea. Much as I roll my eyes at the thought of Seth getting even more obsessed with Trixie, I can't deny that this was a clever and funny reference. There were apparently several references to real parts of New York in there, too, but those aren't things I'd notice.

So, yes. I can't say that this arc will be one for the ages, but it was more than adequate. The interplay between the characters was nice, the writing was solid, and even the human poses seemed to have calmed down a bit this time. Interesting that Anderson said he'd have given Rough Diamond a backstory if he'd had the space; perhaps we'll see her in the comics again one of these days...

Yays
  • A solid, enjoyable adventure with a decent ending
  • Good characterisation throughout
  • Some clever, fun references and jokes
Neighs
  • Nothing all that special
  • I think we've had enough Trixie for a while, thank you
8/10

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to say, I personally didn't like this particular story arc much at all. I remember mentioning for the previous issue (#21) that after a re-read I did quite enjoy it. But I read it again before reading *this* issue, and... I don't know. It just seemed to fall very flat, although obviously that's just my personal opinion. It just didn't really do anything for me, as a whole. I guess I'm just not that keen on the artwork for the most part. (Andy Price has spoiled me! I am dooooooomed!) But the story just felt so lacking to me. Let's just say that if someone asked me to show them an issue that would tempt them into buying a few of the comics, this is *not* one I'd let them near, simply because the story seemed so paper thin. If I were going to lure them away from their Spiderman comics, I think I'd reach for something like the Reflections story or the Luna spotlight.

    Ah, I guess I'm just a fussy so-and-so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I heard this happened in this issue: http://www.horse-news.net/2014/09/mlp-comics-give-shout-out-to-known.html

    And looking at this, oh goodness, IMO Garbowska's art looks horrendous here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew about that, but I decided at the time not to write about it here:

      http://louderyay.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/regarding-my-upcoming-power-ponies.html

      As it's now a year and a half old, there's no way I'm interested in dredging it up again at this point.

      Delete
    2. I see...yeah, best to leave it alone.

      Delete